Thursday, April 9, 2009

Unemployment situation

WSJ's latest survey of economists predicts the recovery in the job market will not happen until the second half of 2010.

I'm still undecided on what I think the recover will be in the job market. I'm obviously not an 'expert' but I think the rapid shedding of jobs has left companies particularly vulnerable when the inevitable recovery does occur. Therefore, what I see is an unexpectedly quick bounce-back in the job market and hopefully one that happens sooner rather than later.

On a side note, I had the experience of a job fair today, with a view from the opposite side of the table (from the hiring company side). It was a unique experience and while most resumes that we saw were from employed individuals looking for an 'upgrade' I felt both a sense of embarrassment and shame when walking into the event. Embarrassment because I am employed when so many are not (even if that's not exactly true in the NoVa job market) and shame because I didn't want people to think I was looking for a job myself. So it was humbling in several ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment